Development Services - Planning Department

The Planning Department facilitates community and economic development while protecting the health, safety, and general welfare of present and future residents of Archuleta County.

The Community Plan is a vision for the future of your community, in text and maps. Planning is how we achieve that future.

The Planning Department staff

assists citizens by:
  • Implementing the approved Archuleta County Community Plan
  • Administering the Archuleta County Land Use Regulations, including zoning, subdivision, mining and floodplain regulations.
  • Providing guidance to property owners and neighbors through permitting processes.

The Planning Commission

is the statutory land use planning body for the County. The Planning Commission is responsible for adopting the Community Plan, recommending changes to the Land Use Regulations, and investigating and recommending action on land use applications. 

Land Use Changes

Most "development", including construction, change of use of property, mining, temporary uses, division of land under 35 acres, and any work done in a floodplain, is reviewed with a Land Use Permit.  Zoning information on your property is available on the Assessor's Online Map (Portico).  You can review the Land Use Regulations in the left tab.  Contact Planning staff early in your project to check on permit requirements.

You can camp in an RV (including many "TIny Homes") on your own residential property with a TEMPORARY USE PERMIT for a 120-day camping season each year.  All homes for permanent residence must meet building codes and require a building permit.  Link to the Building Dept. in the side tab.
Citizen Access for Planning & Building permits is now available online. Look up development information and plans, via the Accela hosted website:
(Note: Our mobile app is still a work in progress. For best results, access via a desktop connection.)

Complaint Form

The Archuleta County Land Use Regulations apply to all development of buildings, structures, and uses of land in unincorporated Archuleta County. Any complaints shall be in writing and signed by the complainant. The County shall not be obligated to investigate complaints not filed in writing.

Land Use Complaint Form (PDF).