Vacation Rental Permits
Starting in October 2018, you may use your dwelling (single-family home, condominium, townhouse) as a short-term rental less than 30 days at a time, with an Archuleta County Vacation Rental permit (Administrative Conditional Use Permit). In July 2018, the Archuleta County Board of County Commissioners adopted Section 5.5.6 Vacation Rentals in the Archuleta County Land Use Regulations (click on side bar) for short-term rental of any legal dwelling in the county.
Any property then currently in use for short-term rental was required to begin the application process no later than December 31, 2018.
Call today to place your name on the waiting list for a required Pre-Application Conference before completing a Vacation Rental Permit application, 970.264.1390 (after 9am Mountain Time, M-F).
1. Local Owner/Representative, available to respond within one hour, 24/7.
(List of registered Representatives)
2. Site Sketch
3. OWTS permit if on septic system (San Juan Basin Public Health)
4. Proof of registration for sales & lodging tax with Colorado Dept. of Revenue. County lodging tax is 1.9% outside Town limits (total 8.8% tax rate).
5. Notification of Owners Association (POA/HOA)
6. Calendar year renewal.
Performance standards include:
1. A legal dwelling may be used as a short-term rental with a Vacation Rental Permit. Short-term rental of other structures such as a guest house, yurt, RV or tent require a Commercial Lodging permit.
2. Occupancy: No more than 2 overnight guests per bedroom, plus up to 2 other guests. At least one on-site parking spot is required for each bedroom--no parking is allowed on County roads except as permitted by the County Engineer.
3. Ads for Vacation Rentals must include their Land Use Permit number (i.e. VR19-999).
4. Neighbors will be notified after approval.
5. Notice shall be provided to renters of relevant County regulations.
6. Refuse shall be properly managed.
The annual (calendar year) application fee is $400.
* PLPOA Short-term Rental Notifications Page
Special events like weddings, meetings, or corporate retreats; and renting a guest house, RV, yurt or tent sites, require different Land Use Permits, and are not permitted for a Vacation Rental.
For more information, contact Archuleta County Development Services--Planning Department, 970.264.1390, or email Planning@archuletacounty.org.