Motor Vehicle Services
Face Coverings are Required
Please call 970-264-8350
New County Citizens
If you recently moved to Archuleta County, you must apply for a Colorado title and registration immediately upon establishing residency. A resident is a person who meets any of the following criteria:
- Has obtained gainful employment in the State of Colorado
- Has resided within the State of Colorado continuously for a period of 90 days
- Owns or operates a business in Colorado
A VIN verification is required before registering a vehicle in Archuleta County when the vehicle:
- has an out-of-state title,
- was purchased outside of Colorado,
- was transferred on a Purged Bill of Sale, or
- requires a correction to the description on the title
Certified VIN Inspections
A certified VIN verification must be performed by the Colorado State Patrol.
Follow this link to schedule an appointment: Colorado State Patrol
We accept cash, checks and credit cards in office only; no over the phone payments will be taken. A 2.7% portal fee will be collected in addition to the card charge.
If you have a lien on the vehicle, meaning that you are making payments to a lender, you will need a Security Agreement / Loan Agreement. The Security Agreement must include the following information:
- Description of the vehicle, including year, make, and VIN
- Lien holder's name and address
- Original or legible fax copy of lien document
- Total amount of payments (amount of lien)
Late Registration Fees
Colorado motor vehicle registrations have a 30-day grace period. Once your registration has expired beyond that 30 day grace period, a late fee of $25 per month is incurred up to $100.
Expired temporary permit registrations are also included in the $25 penalty. There is no grace period for permits.
Late fees for any type of trailer expired more than the 30 day grace period is one $10 flat fee.
Disabled Parking Placard
The disabled parking plate / placard application must be completed by a medical professional prior to renewing or applying for the placard and / or disabled licensed plate. Any of these medical professionals are able to verify an applicant’s disability for applying for disability parking privileges:
- Advance practice nurse
- Colorado-licensed physician
- Commissioned medical officer
- Physician’s assistant
Colorado Plate Ownership
Colorado plates remain with the customer, not the vehicle. If a vehicle is sold or traded, license plates should be removed. A pro-rata portion of the registration fees may be credited toward the same owner's renewal or new vehicle registration, provided that the registration has not expired at the time of the credit.